Hey. I’m sure most of you are pretty familiar with new Netflix original movie called Bird box. In short time it recorded an incredible amount of views so I’m sure you must have watched it by now.
I’m not gonna do a review but more of “what I liked and disliked the most about the movie”
If you still happen to not have watched it – me and millions off other people highly recommend it. To simply describe it – its postapocalyptic story about a mother trying to save her children from unseen, strange and evil force that hit the world. You can’t look at that “thing” – if you do you’ll kill yourself.
What I like about it:
- the fact that it’s not typical apocalypse situation. It’s so clean. The first thought that pop ups in my head when you mention apocalypse or end of the world is zombies – deadly viruses making dead people walk and eat flesh and that’s just dirty, bloody, messy and just gross. This type of end of the world has nice quite background. Once you’re dead you stay dead – unless you were a bad guy then no peace for you.
- overlapping of the timelines, it’s 2 simultaneous stories, one that is happening right now and one that happened 5 years ago and it nicely fills up all the gaps from the story that have been missing from the beginning. Keeps the story interesting and you on the edge.
- monsters are totally up to your imagination. For the whole duration of the movie I was on the edge, waiting for them to show those monsters, I was imagining how terrible they must look like and the anticipation was the worst. It’s really not that scary when you think back about it, but the fact that you’re expecting to be scared out of your mind makes this movie really nerve-wracking.
- same goes for the noises, I was paranoid most of the time that something was up
little girls acting – seriously she was incredible – the boy on the other hand was not that interesting.
- Malorie is badass character, really represent stong mother figure and you rarely have mother hero characters.
- Netflix has a thing for dark, mysterious monsters with long legs, many teeth, deformed, invisible and visible only by some people and I totally dig their obsession. It reminds me so much of my own drawings of as how I called them “creeps” and I talked about them in my Story behind my Creeps. It’s so easy to make them, just let your imagination roll
- They hype and the memes about it. It’s so easy to go with the flow of the sensation. I knew the memes before I watched the movies so that’s for avoiding the spoilers. It’s so easy to make – it takes just one look at any blindfold and I immediately think about bird box now.
On the other hand there are a lot of things that did not make any sense to me:
- Malorie not loosing her baby after car accident, several hits, malnutrition, physical trauma, home delivery and still birthing healthy boy
- I don’t think romantic relationship between Malorie and Tom was necessary and had any impact on the plot whatsoever, beside naming the boy tom as well. I liked them as individuals but their relationship was just “we’re last two people on the world so let’s fall in love”
- kids being so obedient – yes they went through hell but I just can’t imagine any kid being that calm and quiet.
- how did they took care of two newborns at the end of the world
- Sarah Paulson not being gay and appearing for only 10 minutes makes no sense
- Garys eyes appearing to be normal at first and then suddenly switching crazy when it’s convenient to the story
- staying at supermarket was a good idea
- it took monsters so long to affect the guy in front of the monitor. Were they just not aware that he’s looking or just came across the camera by accident and made the guy kill himself?
- tree roof with birds flying freely makes no sense, how much time you expect to have to hide in such large field with that many people and kids
being blind is the key to survival, so in order to survive you would have to give up you own sight = blind yourself and live = how can no one thought of that
But still it was so damn interesting and I enjoyed it kind of. Let me know in the comments what are your opinions about bird box.
Thank you so much for your attention