Advertisements

13 Comments

1. November 13, 2019 / 8:15 pm

I agree with you. I think this is a good idea. The fact that people freaked out so much about a test when other countries do the same thing only reenforces my thoughts on it being a good idea!

2. Poetpas
    November 13, 2019 / 9:19 pm

I think it’s good as some are influenced by it which can cause depression, especially with young people. I’ve read that users can even buy likes. And they test it also with Facialbook. It will end the ‘popularity contests’ or bullying (by not liking) on social media.

3. November 13, 2019 / 10:41 pm

Dear RENEGADE7X,

Thank you for your article, “Why is Instagram hiding likes a good thing?”

I disagree with your opinion. I follow young people on You Tube, and I don’t see any of the problems you speak of. The girls I watch post videos when they want to. I don’t see them being under any pressure. “My” girls post quite frequently. It is difficult for me to keep up with them! I always download and like their videos. I also “screen record” their videos, in case You Tube deletes them, for God knows what reason.

Lately, I’ve been striving to comment on each girl’s new video. Others comment as well. Every comment I’ve ever read is positive, and complimentary.

The girls I watch love their comments. They also love dispensing “thumbs up”, and hearts, to the deserving. This is far better than what girls used to do: sit for hours in front of the T.V. It also beats gabbing mindlessly on a telephone, for hours on end.

Thanks again for your web site! I continue to follow it.

– Andrew Roller

4. November 14, 2019 / 1:24 am

I totally agree with you, but is it not the same on Facebook with the likes? Will they be hidden there as well in future?

5. November 14, 2019 / 3:39 am

It;s already been rolled out in Australia for a while, and honestly, you get over it. It hasn’t changed much and the experience has become so much better I know for me personally. I don’t feel like I have to wait for ‘prime time’ to post so enough people see it and like my photos, and I also don’t feel like I have to compare myself to my friends in terms of ‘likes’! x

6. November 14, 2019 / 1:33 pm

My posts only get one like as it is so I won’t be losing much. 😉 I agree that it’s causing a new kind of illness in the world. The post above disagreeing with you ironically displays just how sick it is as the writer stops just short of saying he feels obligated to comment on his daughter’s videos. But I digress.

7. November 14, 2019 / 10:50 pm

We already have the hide thing here in Australia. I’m building a new account to go with my blog and I find it so freeing – I can build authentically without worrying in the back of my mind how the like counter looks. Social media needs to enhance individuality and support originality – or it will way itself alive

8. November 14, 2019 / 11:27 pm

The “Like” addiction is insane, and it’s probably worst than we think if the people in charge are actually trying to change it.

9. November 15, 2019 / 4:53 am

Interesting post, I was not aware of this. Makes me think about it! hank you.

10. November 15, 2019 / 7:12 pm

We have had likes hidden for most of the summer in Canada. At first we didn’t like it, but mostly because IG didn’t explain where we could see the number of likes for our posts. Now we don’t even notice and don’t really care that we can’t see other people’s likes.

11. November 23, 2019 / 6:31 pm

Superb article, I thought this was only a rumor, but you’ve confirmed this – thank you. Essentially, you’re right, there are so many people gaming the system artificially – when you create a good story or post, it should be about the art and not the like. Keep posting!

12. November 26, 2019 / 11:51 am

A well-reasoned post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.